Atlanta Divorce Attorney
Attorney Barbara Keon provides pragmatic and caring advice to her clients, while being professional and aggressive in representing their interests. By devoting herself exclusively to divorce and family law, Attorney Keon is able to offer her clients the type of knowledge and experience that inspires confidence and delivers results. She believes that clients should be involved in every step of the process in order to understand and participate in decisions that will impact the rest of their lives. Attorney Keon and her committed and highly effective staff assist clients with a range of family law issues, including divorce, custody, child support, modification of prior orders, contempt cases, legitimation and paternity, separate maintenance actions, and prenuptial agreements.
Exclusive Family Law Practice in Atlanta
With over 33 years of experience practicing divorce and family law in Georgia, Attorney Barbara Keon brings a highly skilled and sensitive approach to her cases. She understands that most people want to minimize the stress and expense of their litigation and simply move forward with their life. To this end, Attorney Keon seeks to resolve cases outside of court. At the same time, her clients’ interests are her top priority. Should a deeply personal issue such as child custody, alimony, or property division require tenacious representation, Attorney Keon is ready for the challenge and is a staunch advocate for her clients in court. Barbara Keon received her law degree in 1979 from the University of South Carolina and her undergraduate degree in 1975 from Wake Forest University, where she graduated cum laude. She served as Assistant District Attorney in South Carolina before entering private practice in Georgia in 1985. She also frequently writes and speaks on divorce and family law issues and is certified to conduct divorce and family law mediation in the State of Georgia. She continues to expand her legal education by attending seminars covering diverse topics in family law, and stays current with recent developments in her field.
Attorney Keon has been featured on WXIA‑TV (“Noonday”), WTBS, GCTV, GLTV, WNNX, and WSB Radio, as well as in Women in Greater Atlanta, the Atlanta Business Chronicle, Verdict Magazine, and the Fulton Daily Report. She has been a lecturer for the Real Estate Section of the State Bar of Georgia on “Marital Rights to Real Property”; to the Family Law Section of the State Bar of Georgia on “Equitable Division of Property”; and to the State Bar of Georgia Litigation Section on “Overview of Georgia Divorce Law: What Are the Courts Doing With Your Money and Your Children?”
Ethics and Integrity
Attorney Barbara Keon’s ethics, integrity, and standards have set the path for which her firm operates on a daily basis. She has acquired many accolades, which she attributes to her focused attention to each and every client she represents. She has been featured multiple years as a Super Lawyer in Georgia Super Lawyers Magazine and Atlanta Magazine, as well as in Georgia Trend as one of “Georgia’s Legal Elite”.
Attorney Keon is a member of the State Bars of Georgia and South Carolina, and has been recognized as a Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent rated attorney. In an often contentious niche market of divorce and family law, Attorney Barbara Keon is passionate in advocating the best outcome for each client. She is both diligent in her representation and committed to her profession.
- 1980, South Carolina
- 1985, Georgia
- University of South Carolina, J.D.
- Wake Forest University, cum laude
- Atlanta Bar Association, Family Law Section
- State Bar of Georgia
- Lawyers Club of Atlanta
- Old War Horse Lawyers Club
- Sandy Springs Bar Association
- "Litigation Strategies Representing the Spouse Seeking Alimony," Family Law Section, State Bar of Georgia Continuing Legal Education.
- "Marital Rights to Real Property,” Real Estate Section, State Bar of Georgia Continuing Legal Education.
- “Determining and Dividing Marital Assets,” Family Law Section, State Bar of Georgia Continuing Legal Education.
- “Overview of Georgia Divorce Law. What Are the Courts Doing With Your Money and Your Children?” Litigation Section, State Bar of Georgia Continuing Legal Education.
- “Alimony is Alive and Well” Verdict Magazine.
- "Protecting Your Business Assets During Divorce” Atlanta Small Business Monthly.
- "Who Needs a Prenuptial and Why?" Today's Atlanta Woman.
Awards and Accolades
- Georgia Super Lawyers, Top Rated Family Law Attorney. Each year, no more than five percent of lawyers in each state are selected to receive this honor. Super Lawyers is a rating service of outstanding lawyers from more than 70 practice areas who have attained a high degree of peer recognition and professional achievement. The annual selections are made using a patented multiphase process that includes peer nominations, an independent research evaluation of candidates, a statewide survey of lawyers, and peer reviews by practice area. The result is a credible, comprehensive, and diverse listing of exceptional attorneys who embody excellence in the practice of law.
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV Preeminent Rating. Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Ratings are the gold standard in attorney ratings, and have been for more than a century. The AV Preeminent rating is a significant accomplishment and demonstrates that a lawyer’s peers have ranked him or her at the highest level of professional excellence.
- Georgia Trend Magazine, Legal Elite. A listing of Georgia's top attorneys, selected by their peers.
- The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Legal Leaders - Georgia's Top Rated Lawyers. The attorneys featured have all achieved the peer reviewed rating of AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell, the company that has long set the standard for lawyer ratings. The lawyers in this list are considered first-rate in their field.
- Atlanta Magazine, Top Attorneys of Georgia. Selected as one of the top attorneys in Georgia by Atlanta Magazine.
- America's Most Honored Professionals, Top 1%. Awarded for continuous professional recognition and accomplishment realized by the Top 1% of American professionals.
- Martindale-Hubbell, Bar Register of Preeminent Women Lawyers. Exclusive to women lawyers who have achieved the highest possible rating in both legal ability and ethical standards.
- The Legal Network, Top Lawyers in Georgia. This honor recognizes outstanding attorneys with the highest ethical standards and professional excellence.
- Verdict Magazine. Featured in Verdict Magazine for victory in divorce litigation case. “Alimony is Alive and Well”
- Daily Report. Featured in the Fulton County Daily Report for victory in custody case. "Guardian Case Tests 'Interest' Guideline"